Celebrating Owain Glyndŵr’s Day
Owain Glyndŵr was the last Welsh leader to lead a rebellion against an English King. Descending for the Powys and Deheubarth Royal Linage, he was proclaimed the Prince of Wales in Glyndyfyrdwy on the 16th of September, 1400 in the presence of Scottish, French and Spanish Ambassadors.
Owain Glyndŵr’s day is celebrated every year on the 16th of September. The Mentrau Iaith support and host events in each and every part of Wales. Some of these events are detailed below.
- Menter Blaenau Gwent Torfaen a Mynwy are hosting a Welsh Medium Reading Forum on Tuesday evening the 15th of September where they will be discussing Owain Glyndŵr and the Welsh rebellion.
- Menter Iaith Sir Ddinbych have been supporting a local committee in Corwen in organising events to celebrate the occasion and have organised an interactive performance for children between the ages of 6-11: Glyndŵr the Rebel Prince of Wales. This will take place on Sunday, September the 13th at 14:00 in the Carrog Village Hall. This show, by Eleri Twynog, will be visiting many different parts of Wales. For more information please visit the Festival of Welsh History’s website.
- Menter Iaith Dinbych are also organising a night of Welsh Folk Dancing in the company of Pen Tennyn (Welsh Folk Group) in the Owain Glyndŵr Memorial Hall, Glyndyfrwy on the 15th of September between 19:00 – 21:00.
- Menter Iaith Maldwyn, in Machynlleth in partnership with Canolfan Owain Glyndŵr are organising a whole weekend of special events to mark the occasion (18th – 19th of September).
- Emyr Llew, Cyril Jones and Terry Brevington will be discussing different aspects on the history of Owain Glyndŵr on Friday the 18th at 19:00 at the Owain Glyndŵr Parliament, Canolfan Glyndŵr. Tickets are £4 each and entry is by ticket only.
- On Saturday the 19th Gŵyl Glyndŵr will be held for the second consecutive year at Canolfan Glyndŵr. The event starts at 13:00 with folk groups, children’s entertainment, dancing sessions and much more. For more information regarding the above events held by Menter Iaith Maldwyn please contact Sioned Fflur.
Alongside these events many Mentrau Iaith will be raising awareness of the day by handing out leaflets and flags throughout Wales.
Don’t forget to let us know about any events you’re organising your area and share your pics and stories with us on Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #cofioglyndŵr